Wednesday, December 1, 2010

superman, mud puddles & tyrannosaurus rex

Happy Birthday, Patrick Matthew.. FIVE years old today!

Five years. How did it go so quickly? How can my little boy POSSIBLY be FIVE years old?! *sob*
I blinked and suddenly my baby man that came into the world tipping the scales at 8.5 lbs. now stands in front of me wondering about God, naming off the planets and telling me all about his friends at preschool.

I'm sorry but WHAAAAAT? I'm telling you it was like five MINUTES ago the doctor placed him in my arms for the first time.

THAT'S IT-- NO MORE BLINKING.

I gotta admit though, Patrick Matthew, the older you get the more amazed I am by the way your mind works. I love the way you look at the world and how excited you are about life. You see the possibility in the world around you and I hope you never lose that.
I LOVE that you are ALL boy. You see things in terms of mud, monster trucks and dinosaurs. Splashing in puddles, collecting bugs and anything that makes LOUD noise are of course some of your favorite things.

The moment you were born was one of the best of my life. I'll never forget the first time you were put in my arms and how I felt my heart explode with a kind of love I never knew existed until then. You were our dream come true wrapped in a blue blanket.

You didn't cry when you were born. I remember the doctors wanting you to cry but instead you gazed around the room with big, dark eyes, taking everything in. As if you were piecing together the muffled noises and fuzzy lights from when you were in utero.

From your first breath it was obvious-- you were born READY.. for anything and everything.

Watching you grow up and witnessing all your milestones has been one of the greatest joys I'll ever know in life. From your first tooth to your first step to your first day of preschool-- I am so thankful to have witnessed them and to be your mom.

"I can see him right now, knees all skinned up.. With a magnifying glass tryin to melt a Tonka truck.. Won't he be a sight with his football helmet on? That'll be his first love 'til his first love comes along.."~ Brad Paisley

Your first LOVE?! Oh wow, I can't even go there.. and yet I know I'll blink and it'll be here. Thinking of my baby boy being in LOVE is a little much for me at this point but I can't deny I am so excited to see who you're going to turn into, the paths you'll take and all you'll achieve in life. I have no doubt that with your drive and determination you will be a rock star at whatever you choose to do in life.

"God created boys, full of spirit and fun.. to explore and conquer, to romp and run."

You are FULL of mischief. Wait, I take that back.. you ARE mischief. I LOVE that about you. The way your eyes crinkle at the corners when you smile and the spark that leaps from them when an idea flashes into your mind. Pure mischief.

Those who know you well remember the days when your stuffed Tigger, "Tiggy," had to go everywhere right along with you. I'm talking E V E R Y W H E R E. I did not DARE run the quickest errand without taking that stuffed tiger along also.
Nowadays, Tiggy sits on your bed, waiting patiently for you to tell him "goodnight" before you go to sleep. Gone are the days of dragging him every place you go. His comfort is no longer needed and is yet another sign of you growing up.

"Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero." ~Marc Brown

Over the past five years you have become a big brother twice. I LOVE what a great big brother you are and it's been so awesome watching you with your little sisters.
Anna is your partner-in-crime. It amazes me that the two of you do EVERYTHING together. Mind you, you might be arguing and shoving each other the entire time but you're attached at the hip. Your bond is unlike any other-- you're best friends.. and I love that. How funny that you think it's okay to tease Anna but when someone else does it you're all over them like white on rice. I love how the two of you will do anything to get the other to laugh. You are Anna's HERO.
The bond you have with Ella makes my heart break with deliciousness. From the moment she was born, you have worshipped her. I love how you crawl into her crib every morning and tell her stories. Or how you'll see the seam on her sock isn't lined up JUST right so you'll drop what you're doing to fix it. Or the way you'll give up the toy you're playing with if it catches Ella's eye.
You are an amazing big brother. That makes you not only Anna and Ella's hero but mine as well.

"You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes."

I can not WAIT to see what lies in store for you in the next year. You'll start kindergarten *gulp!* and I'll no doubt have a total breakdown watching you board the bus.
When you woke up this morning, you said, "Hey mom, guess what? Today I'm 5! Next year I'll be 6.. then 7.. then 8.." I felt panic fluttering in my chest as I realized just how quickly time is going. Can't I put you in slow motion? Can't I keep you at five years old?

I love you so much, big kid! I am so thankful for every minute of every day with you (no matter how exhausted I am.. :D). Here's to another amazing year and everything it holds for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment